Leave a review for In The Trenches on iTunes; I’ll love you forever.
Morning Brew in Kailua
I first spotted Abstract Magazine in the wild when I was ordering a coffee from Morning Brew in Kailua Hawaii.
Next to the counter was a small stand with a bunch of bright, hot pink magazines.
The style was so bold I picked one up to browse through it.
I was so impressed with the magazine, from the artwork, to the physical design (it felt great in my hands), to the content of the magazine, that I had to buy one for myself.
I asked the barista “how much?”
“Nothing – it’s free.”
I was floored.
So I did the only logical thing I could think of: I hunted down the managing editor, Richard Melendez, to figure out how they did it.
What Richard Melendez and I Talk About:
- The origin of Abstract Magazine
- How Abstract relies on up and coming artists and writers to create this amazing publication (and believe it or not: they are all volunteers!
- How they were able to spread the magazine so rapidly throughout Hawaii
- Why they decided to produce a physical print of the magazine when digital can be so much cheaper
- The development of a creative incubator to produce Abstract
- And much, much more…
Where You Can Find Richard Melendez (and Abstract) Online:
www.abstracthawaii.com (coming soon)
* * *
If you enjoyed today’s podcast, please leave a review on iTunes here. Thanks so much in advance for your support.