You Can Change Your Life
Or at least that’s what Clay Hebert did.
In 2008, Clay was at a crossroads. Should he continue to work for Accenture, where he had a guaranteed salary and could easily move up the ladder? Or should he branch off on his own path, a path completely uncertain and paved with obstacles and possible failure points.
It turns out serendipity was on his side: it just so happened that as Clay began soul-searching, he noticed a blog post by Seth Godin titled ‘If You Could Change Your Life’…
And for Clay, the answer was yes.
Starting From Scratch
After the 6 month intensive MBA program, Clay went straight into bootstrapping his first business: Tribes Win.
At Tribes Win, Clay worked with a plethora of clientele, from entrepreneurs to authors, and helped them build their Tribes.
After the success with Tribes Win, Clay moved onto bootstrapping two more companies: Workhacks.com and Spindows.com
Both businesses have the chance to redefine their genres (and yes, you should check them out).
Things we talk about:
- The fear of walking away from a guarantee into the unknown
- How to overcome fear
- The difference between Freelancer and Entrepreneur (and why it’s crucial you know the difference)
- “Product Market Fit” – and why you need to use it, whether you’re a writer or an entrepreneur
- The power of the lean startup versus conventional business development
- Why you should TEST and VALIDATE your business before you jump into your next venture
- How to multi-task like a ninja…but also why it’s not recommended for most people!
Quotes to Live by From the Interview:
“Don’t start by building, start by validating.” (tweeeeet!)
“Get out of the building and talk to actual customers.” (tweet it!)