Edward Kay works with associations who are frustrated by the inability to get digital and web technology working for them. Clients come to him who are struggling with terrible website-to-membership-database integration, lack of member self-service and important data isolated in unconnected systems. Edward is passionate about making tech deliver for membership organisations and associations.
On this week’s episode, I sit down with Edward Kay, a membership technology specialist and the founder of Tall Projects, which provides digital services for membership organizations and associations. I brought Edward on the call to talk about his journey into freelancing; specifically how he keeps his operation lean, how he moved away from trading time for money to a recurring revenue subscription model, and why it’s so important to niche down and then maybe niche down some more.
My big takeaway from this episode is that the crux of success is discipline work. And that it’s completely possible to land great clients and organize your business and lifestyle so that it serves you and not the other way around.
In this broadcast, Edward and I talk about:
- What is Edward’s business journey
- How did Edward find his niche
- Why you need to keep your eyes and ears open for opportunities
- How did Edward move to a recurring revenue model
- Why you need to experiment with your pricing on different clients
- How can you ensure a project isn’t taking more time than you first quoted
- Why is it important to niche down
- The importance of expectations around retainers
- Is a retainer based system the best option for freelancers
- How can you be more disciplined in your business to make the most of your time
- What are Edward’s best practices to keep clients for the long haul
- Why you need to invest in a team for the long-term
How to Connect with Edward:
Get the Latest Broadcasts of In The Trenches on Your Favorite Podcast Platform:
How You Can Support In The Trenches
Did you enjoy today’s broadcast of In The Trenches? Please click here to leave an honest rating and review on iTunes. Your review helps me spread the word of this podcast, which allows me to line up amazing guests and continue to produce this podcast ad-free. Thanks so much in advance for your support.
Podcast audio editing and show note production by Nives Kurjak. Click here to get 10% off your podcast production for life.