Nir Eyal is the bestselling author of "Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products" and "Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life." He has taught at the Stanford Graduate School of Business and Hasso Plattner Institute of Design. His writing on technology, psychology, and business, appears in the Harvard Business Review, The Atlantic, TechCrunch, and Psychology Today.
During this conversation, we talk about Nir’s most recent book Indistractable. We also focus on a few of the major areas of the book, like internal and external triggers that cause distractions. My big takeaway from this conversation is that there will always be distractions. The only thing we can do is be aware of our distractions because they will happen. They will occur. You can never rid yourself entirely of distractions, but there are ways that you can organize your environment so that you can be more effective in life.
In this broadcast, Nir and I talk about:
- Why did Nir write Indistractable
- How did Nir research his book and the techniques he mention
- Why is tech not the problem
- What are the fundamental principles of distraction
- What is the opposite of distraction
- How is time management also pain management
- Why do we get distracted by something
- What can you do to master your internal triggers
- What is the difference between “blamers” and “shamers”
- How can you get curious about your distractions and discomfort
- Why does Nir give himself the time to satisfy his distractions
- How is flow not the answer to everything
- What technique should you use for the tasks you don’t want to do
- What are the four big strategies to becoming indistractable
- What is the antidote to impulsiveness
- Why you need to plan your time using time boxing
How to Connect with Nir:
Get the Latest Broadcasts of In The Trenches on Your Favorite Podcast Platform:
How You Can Support In The Trenches
Did you enjoy today's broadcast of In The Trenches? Please click here to leave an honest rating and review on iTunes. Your review helps me spread the word of this podcast, which allows me to line up amazing guests and continue to produce this podcast ad-free. Thanks so much in advance for your support.