Seth Godin is the bestselling author of 19 books, a successful entrepreneur (founder of Yoyodyne, Squidoo, and others), has been inducted into the Direct Marketing Hall of Fame and the Marketing Hall of Fame, and was recently quoted on the TV show "Billions" (which is braggable, so I had to include it). A self- proclaimed teacher, Seth motivates and inspires countless people around the world.
In today's conversation, we talk about the state of marketing, what is working and what's not, and this critical idea of "the smallest viable audience." Seth and I also dive into some more contentious marketing topics like growth hacking (good or bad), how we can do meaningful work while avoiding the race to the bottom, how to be an agent of change, and more.
If you enjoyed today's interview, please do me a favor and share! This podcast spreads through word of mouth alone (I don't advertise). So thank you in advance for your support.
In this broadcast,
Seth Godin and I talk about:
- Why a Marketer is a change agent
- The difference between self-publishing books and going through a publisher
- How Seth shifted from blog writing to book writing
- Why Seth doesn't market his writing to people but with people
- The two key characteristics that are important in growing your new business
- Why growth hacking isn't about shortcuts but something much more important
- How and why systems thinking and network effects are key in growing your business
- There are no shortcuts in marketing
- Why there is power in shifting from writing to grow an audience to writing for an audience
- Why marketing for the smallest viable audience is a new way to think about succeeding at marketing
- How to focus on your smallest viable audience and succeed doing it
- What it's like for Seth to focus on his current readership exclusively now
And much more...
How to connect with Seth Godin Online:
Get the Latest Broadcasts of In The Trenches
How You Can Support In The Trenches
Did you enjoy today's broadcast of In The Trenches? Please click here to leave an honest rating and review on iTunes. Your review helps me spread the word of this podcast, which allows me to line up amazing guests and continue to produce this podcast ad-free. Thanks so much in advance for your support.