Vincent LoTempio is a registered patent attorney. He helps entrepreneurs, artists, writers, and creators understand, create, and file patents, trademarks, and copyright.
In today’s conversation, we discuss the differences between patents, trademarks, and copyright, including what they are, how they’re distinct from one another, and what they actually do for you. We also discuss common misconceptions around copyright, what you need to consider if you’re starting a business around a brand or product, the truth behind satire, derivatives, and fair use, and more.
Whether you’ve already filed patents, trademarks, or copyright, or you’re just getting started and trying to figure out what you need to do to protect your intellectual property online, today’s conversation is going to be a game-changer for you.
In this broadcast, Vincent LoTempio and I talk about:
- A simple way to understand the difference between a patent, trademark, and copyright
- When you need to file a patent, trademark, or copyright
- Common misconceptions around copyright (this is critical if you’re an author)
- The difference between ‘SM’ and ‘TM’ and when and how to use each
- How to protect your intellectual property from theft
- What these forms of legal registration can and CANNOT do (lots of confusion on this one and Vincent clears it up for us)
- The Sword and Shield framework: a simple approach protecting yourself and your ideas online
- How much it costs to file a trademark, to register a copyright or to register a patent
Useful Resources from my Conversation with Vincent LoTempio
How to connect with Vincent LoTempio online:
Get the Latest Broadcasts of In The Trenches
How You Can Support In The Trenches
Did you enjoy today’s broadcast of In The Trenches? Please click here to leave an honest rating and review on iTunes. Your review helps me spread the word of this podcast, which allows me to line up amazing guests and continue to produce this podcast ad-free. Thanks so much in advance for your support.